Oven warn­ing

Central Leader - - NEWS -

As the tem­per­a­ture drops, the Fire Ser­vice is re­mind­ing people not to use the kitchen oven to heat the house. Units from Avon­dale Sta­tion were called out to a house on Range View Rd in Mt Al­bert af­ter an el­derly woman’s kitchen was en­gulfed in smoke on Fri­day. ‘‘A lady who was an in­valid was cold this morn­ing so she de­cided to turn on her oven and un­for­tu­nately she for­got that there was a plas­tic plate with some cake on it,’’ se­nior sta­tion of­fi­cer Chris Todd says. ‘‘It wasn’t that smokey in there but she ob­vi­ously couldn’t get out so she rang 111.’’ He says it is vi­tal that ev­ery house has work­ing smoke alarms. ‘‘There were no smoke alarms in the house ei­ther so we will be back to put some in for her this af­ter­noon.’’

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from New Zealand

© PressReader. All rights reserved.