Help follows horror
THERE’S been an outpouring of support for three families affected by a devastating house fire.
The December 15 blaze was started by a child playing with fireworks and gutted a Housing New Zealand flat on McGehan Close, Mt Albert.
The building has been demolished.
Two adjoining flats were damaged and two cars parked outside were destroyed.
Nine people who lived in the flat where the fire started are staying with relatives in south Auckland until HNZ can find them a new home.
The family includes a grandmother, her three children and five grandchildren. The youngest child is one.
They didn’t have contents insurance and have lost everything, relative Sina Teo says.
‘‘Thank the Lord no-one was injured or hurt. Words can’t describe how emotional our family and friends feel. It hurts me to see family like this at this time of the year,’’ she says.
Donations including cloth-
since ing and supermarket vouchers have been flowing in this week. The Mt Albert YMCA is acting as a collection point for clothing donations.
‘‘The family wants to say thank you to everyone,’’ Teo says.
Repairs on the two adjoining flats should be complete this week so the residents can move back in.
A fund has also been set up through the Givealittle website to assist them.
The fire started at about 4.30pm on Monday and spread rapidly, senior fire risk management officer Russell Dickson says.
‘‘It just highlights that it’s crucial that fireworks and lighting materials are kept where kids can’t get them.’’
The aftermath: The McGehan Close flat before it was demolished. It was gutted by a fire on Monday evening.
Big job: Firefighters get to grips with the rapidly spreading fire.