Care­less dis­card of cig­a­rettes

Central Leader - - NEWS - By ELESHA ED­MONDS

A fire sparked by care­lessly dis­carded cig­a­rettes has caused ex­ten­sive dam­age to a Mt Roskill house.

Four peo­ple man­aged to es­cape un­harmed from their house on Grif­fen Park Rd af­ter it caught fire at 3.30am on May 19.

Neigh­bours say they woke to see the fire en­gines ar­riv­ing at the scene and black smoke bil­low­ing from the win­dows of the three­bed­room house.

Fire Ser­vice north­ern com­mu­ni­ca­tions shift manager Paul Radden says ev­ery­one was ac­counted for on the crew’s ar­rival.

Three fire en­gines and crews re­sponded to the early morn­ing call-out with brigades ar­riv­ing from Mt Roskill, Avon­dale and Bal­moral.

One crew re­mained at the scene for most of the next day to dampen down hotspots, Radden says.

The house is cor­doned off and the oc­cu­pants re­turned to the scene the next day to re­move their be­long­ings.

Fire in­ves­ti­ga­tor Linda McHugh says the fire ap­pears to have started by care­lessly dis­carded cig­a­rettes.

It’s so im­por­tant to en­sure all cig­a­rettes are dis­carded care­fully in metal con­tain­ers, McHugh says.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from New Zealand

© PressReader. All rights reserved.