Slug pellets harm dogs
A spate of poisoned dogs has led the Veterinary Specialist Group to issue a warning around the safe keeping of slug pellets and other harmful items that canines might find appealing.
‘‘We’ve had two dogs in the last week that were extremely unwell,’’ Dr Mark Robson, founding partner of Veterinary Specialist Group in Auckland says.
Dogs will roam and be attracted to poisons such as slug bait over a long distance, he says.
If you suspect your dog has ingested slug pellet bait, it is important you seek veterinary advice immediately.
‘‘Your dog may look shaky and restless and be acting really strangely,’’ Robson says.
‘‘This will then progress to uncontrollable whole-body tremors and then to seizures which will start within 20-90 minutes of the dog eating the bait.’’
Most cases can usually be rescued however it is much harder once the dog starts to have fits. Serious cases may need a specialist 24-hour care facility such as the one Veterinary Specialist Group provides in order to recover completely.
Robson says there are plenty of other common items that are very harmful to dogs.
‘‘Toxicities we see often are human medicines especially painkillers, anti-freeze, marijuana, grapes and raisins which can cause an unpredictable kidney toxicity.’’