123 Mart sold unsafe toys
Rattles, trumpets and wind-up snakes are some of the toys a budget retailer has been found guilty of selling with choking hazards.
The 123 Mart was found guilty in the Auckland District Court on 17 charges under the Fair Trading Act on July 7, and will be sentenced in October.
Judge Rob Ronayne found 123 Mart sold about 9000 of seven types of toys with small parts that were choking hazards for young children.
After the Commerce Commission charged 123 Mart last year, the retailer chose a defended hearing on 22 charges, and five charges were dismissed.
The 123 Mart had already pleaded guilty to five charges that it sold more than 1200 items of children’s sleeping pants that did not have the required fire danger labels, and more than 11,000 items of clothing that failed to comply with labelling requirements. for care, origin and content.
The 123 Mart operated about 60 stores throughout New Zealand, including several in central Auckland. It has a multi-million dollar turnover.
The chain opened in 1995 and specialises in low-cost consumer products including toys, costumes and cosmetics.
It has withdrawn all the toys and clothing from sale and refunds are available from The 123 Mart for the toys and clothing if returned.