Top building and renovation tips
– If you’re carrying out the renovation yourself, make sure to seek professional advice from a variety of sources before you embark on the project.
– Although it may be tempting to get the renovation done as quickly as possible, take your time when it comes to planning it. This will decrease the likelihood of things going wrong and give you the opportunity to get the best value for your home.
– Only use contractors that have been recommended to you by friends or family or else ask contractors for references from unbiased past customers who have used their services. The cheapest contractors are not necessarily the best. You must take experience, communication skills and quality into consideration.
– A home renovation is a costly exercise so it’s important to be financially ready for the sum you will be charged. No matter how much you budget for, there always tends to be extra costs so allow for these in advance.
– Don’t rush into buying materials and supplies at the first shop you visit. You’ll be surprised with the variations in price you’ll come across.
– Follow the contractor’s progress and review any changes they propose to make to your original agreement.
– Make sure that the renovation is suitable for your home, your family and your lifestyle. It may be tempting to follow a contemporary craze but think about the long term.
– If you’re considering a home renovation seek inspiration from a variety of sources such as homes of friends, websites and home de´ cor magazines.
– A renovation takes time and will impact on you and your family’s lives. Carrying out the renovation may be easier during the summer time when you’re not house bound.
– Stay positive about the renovation and look forward to the finished product. You won’t remember the short term inconvenience when you’re enjoying your newly improved abode.