Central Otago Mirror - - NEWS -

On av­er­age, each year, one person dies and six peo­ple are badly in­jured as a re­sult of elec­tric blan­ket fires;

Over half of all deaths oc­cur while peo­ple are sleep­ing;

The Fire Ser­vice rec­om­mends:

Mak­ing your bed ev­ery day, to de­tect any wrin­kles or creases that could lead to bro­ken wires;

Never put ob­jects on the bed while the elec­tric blan­ket is on;

Watch­ing out for brown spots on the elec­tric blan­ket, or any burn­ing smell, which would def­i­nitely in­di­cate a prob­lem;

If any set­tings are not work­ing, get the blan­ket checked;

When putting away your elec­tric blan­ket away don’t fold it, roll it.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from New Zealand

© PressReader. All rights reserved.