Po­lice es­tab­lish boat fire as ar­son

Central Otago Mirror - - NEWS -

Sus­pi­cious blaze

The melted re­mains of the ‘‘Lucy’s Way’’ boat which was de­stroyed by a sus­pi­cious fire in Frank­ton in the early hours of Sun­day morn­ing. Po­lice were treat­ing the sus­pi­cious boat fire as ar­son. Con­sta­ble Brian Fitzger­ald, of Queen­stown, said the boat was set alight while parked on a trailer about 4.15am on Lake Ave in Frank­ton. ‘‘Any sort of burn­ing boat at that time of the morn­ing is sus­pi­cious,’’ Fitzger­ald said.

Both po­lice and fire safety of­fi­cers were con­duct­ing an in­ves­ti­ga­tion into the blaze. Fire safety of­fi­cer Mike Cahill, of In­ver­cargill, said what caused the fire was yet to be de­ter­mined but an elec­tri­cal fault had been ruled out. Frank­ton fire of­fi­cer Hay­den Cos­grove said the boat was well in­volved when fire­fight­ers ar­rived.

Early morn­ing crash

Speed and al­co­hol were fac­tors in a car crash in Wanaka early Satur­day morn­ing after a 17-year-old youth crashed into a parked car.

Wanaka emer­gency ser­vices were called to the scene of the crash out­side Mount As­pir­ing Col­lege on Plan­ta­tion Rd just be­fore 12.30am.

Se­nior Con­sta­ble Ian Hen­der­son, of Wanaka, said po­lice, who were trav­el­ling in a dif­fer­ent di­rec­tion to the driver, put their lights on in an at­tempt to pull the driver over and dis­cov­ered the crash a short time after pulling a U-turn to catch up with the ve­hi­cle. The youth recorded a breath al­co­hol level over 300mcg and was charged with drink-driv­ing and reck­less driv­ing, Hen­der­son said. He was the sole oc­cu­pant of the car and was un­in­jured in the crash.

Miss­ing woman’s body found

Pos­sum trap­pers have found a body be­lieved to be that of a Hong Kong woman who went miss­ing while on hol­i­day in Queen­stown.

Se­nior Con­sta­ble Chris Black­ford, of Queen­stown, said trap­pers work­ing on Queen­stown Hill above Van­cou­ver Dr found a woman’s body on Fri­day af­ter­noon.

Black­ford said the body was be­lieved to be Kwei Yong Wong, 63, who was last seen on the af­ter­noon of Au­gust 22. There did not ap­pear to be any sus­pi­cious cir­cum­stances and the death was re­ferred to the coro­ner.

Po­lice were also con­tact­ing fam­ily in Canada.

Wong, also known as Joyce, ar­rived in the re­sort town on Au­gust 18 and was due to fly home to Hong Kong on Au­gust 23.

Naive and stupid

A Queen­stown man was de­scribed as naive and ’’stupid in the ex­treme’’ for or­der­ing ec­stasy on­line from Europe to a post of­fice box in his own name.

Matthew Richard Hill, a 22-year-old tele­mar­keter, im­ported 2g of MDMA on June 4, and was ar­rested when po­lice re­ceived in­for­ma­tion from New Zealand Cus­toms.

He ap­peared in Queen­stown Dis­trict Court be­fore Judge Michael Cros­bie, who sentenced Hill to three months’ com­mu­nity de­ten­tion and nine months’ su­per­vi­sion.

His lawyer Phillip Hall said his client was naive and stupid in the ex­treme.

He said his client, who had no pre­vi­ous con­vic­tions, paid $400 by bank or­der to an ac­count in Europe and was given an or­der num­ber, which was at­tached to an en­ve­lope ad­dressed to a Frank­ton post of­fice box un­der Hill’s mid­dle name. Cus­toms’ staff in­ter­cepted the en­ve­lope.

The judge de­scribed the of­fend­ing as a mas­sive fall from grace. Hill was cur­fewed from 7pm to 7am.

Un­law­ful tak­ing

Michael Al­lan Rap­son, 28, chef, of Ar­row­town, was sentenced to six months’ com­mu­nity de­ten­tion, in­clud­ing a 7pm to 7am cur­few at Moana House, 18 months’ in­ten­sive su­per­vi­sion and dis­qual­i­fied for two years for un­law­fully tak­ing a ve­hi­cle, two charges of fail­ing to stop for blue and red lights and two counts of dan­ger­ous driv­ing, on Septem­ber 14. The court was told he drank half a litre of tequila and two and a half litres of cider be­fore tak­ing a car from a house in Ar­row­town, where he knew the owner. He drove to­wards Cromwell through the Kawa­rau gorge, slowed briefly for a po­lice pa­trol then sped off again be­fore another pa­trol tried to pull him over near Ban­nock­burn Rd. Po­lice es­ti­mated he reached speeds of 175kmh. He turned into McNulty Rd, but due to the dan­ger­ous na­ture of the driv­ing the pur­suit was aban­doned. Po­lice tried to stop him again in Ban­nock­burn. He avoided road spikes, burst­ing tyres, and sped away driv­ing on the ve­hi­cle’s rims then aban­doned the car. Po­lice ar­rested him the next day at his fa­ther’s house in Ar­row­town.

Male as­saults fe­male

Franz Ron­ald Schryvers, 29, stone­ma­son, of Wanaka, was sentenced to six months’ su­per­vi­sion and or­dered to pay $500 for emo­tional harm for be­ing a male as­sault­ing a fe­male, on Septem­ber 21.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from New Zealand

© PressReader. All rights reserved.