Farmer fined for ne­glect­ing cat­tle

Central Otago Mirror - - CENTRAL NEWS -

A farmer has been fined $23,250 af­ter stock in his care in Cen­tral Otago died or were left in poor con­di­tion due to a lack of wa­ter and feed.

An­drew James Wright, 32, re­ceived the fine in the In­ver­cargill Dis­trict Court on Fri­day, with Judge Kevin Phillips also order­ing him to pay $7700 in in­ves­ti­ga­tion costs and de­mand­ing he be su­per­vised dur­ing his day-to-day farm­ing op­er­a­tions for the next 12 months.

Wright ad­mit­ted seven charges of fail­ing to en­sure dozens of an­i­mals re­ceived proper and suf­fi­cient food and wa­ter as re­quired un­der the An­i­mal Wel­fare Act.

The Min­istry for Pri­mary In­dus­tries sum­mary of facts says Wright was in 2013 a gra­zier in charge of the care of about 5450 an­i­mals on two prop­er­ties at Ida Val­ley, Cen­tral Otago.

The an­i­mals, in­clud­ing about 3600 dairy cows, 1000 ewes and 700 store lambs, had been on the prop­er­ties at var­i­ous times.

Wright had en­joyed suc­cess in 2012 win­ter graz­ing cows in the Ida Val­ley, so pro­posed to sig­nif­i­cantly in­crease the stock­ing rate for the 2013 graz­ing year.

A farm con­sul­tant ex­pressed his con­cerns, but Wright in­stead ac­cepted graz­ing stock in num­bers be­yond the ca­pa­bil­i­ties of the prop­erty, the sum­mary says.

In July Wright called his vet to tend to a de­hy­drated cow with sunken eyes, which the vet eu­thanised. The vet saw no food or wa­ter for the an­i­mal, apart from a small pud­dle nearby.

Wright called the vet back to the prop­erty two days later for an­other downed cow which was se­verely de­hy­drated, with the vet see­ing no food or wa­ter on of­fer.

In early Au­gust an­i­mal wel­fare in­spec­tors in­spected stock in re­sponse to a num­ber of calls from the public, but the ma­jor­ity of graz­ing stock had been re­moved from the prop­erty by then.

The in­spec­tion re­vealed all the crops, ex­cept a small part of one failed crop, had been eaten out and only large muddy pad­docks were present. There was lit­tle to no grass cover in the pad­docks and dead stock were ob­served on the farm.

The sig­nif­i­cant short­com­ings in the retic­u­lated wa­ter sys­tem meant the stock were largely re­liant on pond­ing and rain­fall to fill the troughs, the sum­mary says.

About 180 carry over cows on a hill block were found to be in poor con­di­tion, with many ap­pear­ing de­hy­drated and two dy­ing that night.

Wright also left a lame bull suf­fer­ing pain for seven days and sev­eral ill sheep were eu­thanised, the sum­mary says.

Wright’s lawyer, Hans van der Wal, said Wright had ac­cepted in hind­sight he did not have the nec­es­sary ex­pe­ri­ence to suc­cess­fully carry out win­ter­ing dairy­ing.

He had be­lieved he had had enough feed and when he be­gan ad­dress­ing mat­ters it was too late.

Judge Phillips said Wright had ‘‘shut his eyes’’ to the prob­lems un­fold­ing on the farm.

‘Sus­tained and cruel’ attack

A Cromwell man has been jailed for two years and four months for a sus­tained and cruel attack on a 65-year-old fam­ily friend.

Brent Ray­mond An­der­son, 38, quarry worker, ap­peared be­fore Judge Michael Cros­bie for sen­tenc­ing in the Alexan­dra Dis­trict Court on Mon­day, charged with in­jur­ing with in­tent to in­jure on March 29 last year.

The court was told An­der­son at­tacked his fa­ther’s friend af­ter an all-day drink­ing ses­sion and an ar­gu­ment about the sale of busi­ness as­sets.

The judge said An­der­son’s latenight attack, dur­ing which he pre­vented a woman from help­ing his vic­tim, was ag­gra­vated by fac­tors in­clud­ing ex­treme vi­o­lence, at­tack­ing the man’s head, the use of a chair as a weapon, the vic­tim’s vul­ner­a­bil­ity, and cru­elty.

The attack on the man lasted for more than an hour, dur­ing which he was slammed into a wall, punched re­peat­edly in the head and jumped on while curled on the ground.

A woman re­turned to the house and found the vic­tim sit­ting in a con­ser­va­tory cov­ered in blood with a gash in his head.

‘‘You con­tin­ued to ver­bally abuse the vic­tim while telling her to leave him alone. You punched him on the arm, threw him from the chair onto the ground be­fore throw­ing a metal chair at him,’’ the judge said.

‘‘That sum­mary of facts was hard enough to read let alone imag­ine what the poor man went through. It was a sig­nif­i­cant beat­ing. At the point where some­one was giv­ing as­sis­tance to him you took over again and con­tin­ued the beat­ing.

‘‘This is just cruel be­cause of his age.’’

Lawyer Kieran To­hill said the vic­tim and An­der­son con­tin­ued to have a good re­la­tion­ship and the vic­tim did not want his at­tacker to go to jail.

‘‘It’s an evening that went man­i­festly wrong. He’s shown true re­morse. I vis­ited him in pri­son and he’s a changed man and recog­nises that al­co­hol is the com­mon fac­tor in his of­fend­ing.’’

An­der­son has been in cus­tody since De­cem­ber.

The judge re­jected a de­fence sub­mis­sion to al­low a sen­tenc­ing dis­count be­cause An­der­son had changed his lawyer.

How­ever, the judge al­lowed an over­all dis­count of eight months from a start­ing point of three years’ jail.

As­sault­ing a fe­male

A Cromwell shearer has been sen­tenced to 12 months’ jail for as­sault­ing his fe­male flat­mate.

Shilo Ta­mati Koro­heke, 30, ap­peared for sen­tence.

He as­saulted his fe­male flat­mate in their shared shear­ers’ quar­ters on Novem­ber 14.

The judge said the con­vic­tion was Koro­heke’s sixth for vi­o­lence since 2002 and his third for as­sault­ing women.

The court was told the pair were drink­ing af­ter fin­ish­ing work and Koro­heke was cooking for other house­mates when an ar­gu­ment be­gan. It lasted half an hour and in­volved the two shout­ing and swear­ing at each other be­fore vi­o­lence erupted. The vic­tim was punched twice to the ground by her flat­mate.

She sprang up from the ground and con­fronted him but, with a third punch, he knocked her un­con­scious.

The judge said: ‘‘You said you were go­ing to smash her if she did not shut up.

‘‘Stand­ing up a sec­ond time, you took it as dis­re­spect and punched her again. She be­lieved she was knocked un­con­scious. ‘‘You should have walked away. ‘‘You have knocked this woman twice to the ground and you have ren­dered her un­con­scious.

‘‘It seems to me you are a fit young man and this beat­ing was com­pletely over the top and, I have got to say, cow­ardly. It’s no way to treat any­body, let alone a woman.’’

To­hill said the flat­mates had been con­fronta­tional in the past be­fore the as­sault.

Koro­heke was also or­dered to pay $500 emo­tional harm repa­ra­tion.

Breaching pro­tec­tion or­der

Lind­say Matua Wini­ata, 35, was sen­tenced to 14 months’ jail for pos­sess­ing a knife in breach of a pro­tec­tion or­der, pos­sess­ing an of­fen­sive weapon, and dam­ag­ing a house with in­tent to in­tim­i­date on Oc­to­ber 4.


A 48-year-old woman was sen­tenced to six months’ su­per­vi­sion for tak­ing cheques with in­tent to ob­tain a pe­cu­niary ad­van­tage, in Auck­land, be­tween Novem­ber 1 and 2, 2013. She was granted fi­nal name sup­pres­sion.


Jamie Wil­liam Morton, 35, of Mil­ton, was sen­tenced to 100 hours’ com­mu­nity work for as­sault­ing his neigh­bour on Jan­uary 26.

Bren­don Rus­sell Fred Mcleod, 20, was sen­tenced to nine months’ su­per­vi­sion for as­sault on De­cem­ber 31.


Denise Lor­raine Bar­nett, 59, of Naseby, was re­manded for sen­tence on May 19 for cul­ti­vat­ing cannabis, pos­sess­ing cannabis for sup­ply and pos­sess­ing a pipe on March 4.


Daniel Robert Avery, 34, or­chard worker, was sen­tenced to 80 hours’ com­mu­nity work for steal­ing cash and keys, val­ued at up to $500, on Fe­bru­ary 25.

Ja­son Craig Dick­son, 43, of Mil­ton, was fined $400 for steal­ing a cell­phone val­ued

at $60 on March 2.

Wil­ful dam­age

Rhys Chris­tian Thian, 20, of Cromwell, was sen­tenced to 80 hours’ com­mu­nity work and or­dered to pay $950 repa­ra­tion for in­ten­tion­ally dam­ag­ing a ve­hi­cle on De­cem­ber 26.

In­ten­tional dam­age

Ty­lah-Rayne Materoa Newa Shirley Craw­ford, 21, was or­dered to come up for sen­tence if called upon within nine months for in­ten­tion­ally dam­ag­ing a win­dow on Fe­bru­ary 9.

Of­fen­sive lan­guage

Dea­con Gavin Ral­ston Wyl­lie, 36, was sen­tenced to six months’ su­per­vi­sion for us­ing of­fen­sive lan­guage on March 13.

Care­less driv­ing

Jayce Bradley Peter­son, 31, fencer, of Omarama, on March 8. Peter­son was fined $500 and dis­qual­i­fied for four months.


Bai­ley Mark Tuwhangai, 18, vine­yard worker, of Cromwell, was sen­tenced to 120 hours’ com­mu­nity work, nine months’ su­per­vi­sion and dis­qual­i­fied from driv­ing for one year for driv­ing with a breath al­co­hol level of 491mcg while dis­qual­i­fied on Fe­bru­ary 15, and in­ten­tion­ally dam­ag­ing a ve­hi­cle on De­cem­ber 26.

Nathan James Herewini, 36, of Cromwell, 937mcg, hav­ing been con­victed at least twice pre­vi­ously, on Jan­uary 16, re­manded to May 19.

Simon Alexander Lloyd, 18, builder, 805mcg on Fe­bru­ary 21. Fined $900, dis­qual­i­fied for six months.

Lach­lan Robin Kain, 19, 557mcg on Fe­bru­ary 21. Sen­tenced to 120 hours’ com­mu­nity work, dis­qual­i­fied for nine months.

Trevor Pa­trick Heaney, 62, farmer, of Lower Nevis, 676mcg on March 12. Fined $900, dis­qual­i­fied for seven months.

Ste­wart Ge­orge Hamil­ton, 63, of Spring­vale, farmer, 674mcg on March 14. Fined $800, dis­qual­i­fied for six months.

Re­gan John Gregg, 39, of Al­bert Town, 453mcg on Fe­bru­ary 7. Fined $750, dis­qual­i­fied for seven months.

Sa­muel Peter Gil­laly, 22, civil en­gi­neer, 567mcg, on Fe­bru­ary 6. Fined $600, dis­qual­i­fied for six months.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from New Zealand

© PressReader. All rights reserved.