Take precautions with firearms this season
1. Treat every firearm as loaded
Check every firearm yourself and pass or accept only an open or unloaded firearm.
2. Always point firearms in a safe direction
Loaded or unloaded, always point the muzzle in a safe direction.
3. Load a firearm only when ready to fire
Load the magazine only after you reach your shooting area. Load the chamber only when ready to shoot.
Completely unload before leaving the shooting area.
4. Identify your target beyond all doubt
Movement, colour, sound and shape can all deceive you.
Assume colour, shape, sound, and shape to be human until proven otherwise
5. Check your firing zone
Think! What may happen if you miss your target?
What might you hit between you and the target or beyond? Do not fire when you know others are in your firing zone
6. Store firearms and ammunition safely
When not in use, lock away the bolt, firearm and ammunition separately.
And never leave firearms in a vehicle that is unattended
7. Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms
Good judgement is the key to safe use — Fish and Game NZ