EYE FILLET WITH MUSHROOM SAUCE
300g beef eye fillet steaks (at room temperature)
3 tablespoons white wine or Marsala
red onion, finely diced
125g white button mushrooms, thinly sliced
1 teaspoon soy sauce
cup sour cream
Preheat oven to 220C.
Line an oven tray with baking paper.
1. Toss all vegetables (except baby kale) with honey/maple syrup and a drizzle of olive oil on prepared tray. Season with salt and pepper. Roast for 20–25 minutes, or until vegetables are starting to caramelise. Toss halfway to ensure even cooking.
2. When vegetables have 10 minutes of cook time remaining, heat a drizzle of oil in a large frypan on medium-high heat. Cook eye fillet for 3 minutes each side. In the final 3 minutes of vegetable cook time, move the vegetables to one side and add beef to tray. Continue to cook for a further 3 minutes.
3. Remove tray from oven and cover beef until ready to serve. Sprinkle kale over vegetables and toss to wilt.
4. Return same pan to medium heat (do not clean). Add wine/ Marsala to pan, let it bubble and use a wooden spoon to rub bottom of pan to release any pan brownings. Cook until liquid has almost evaporated.
5. Add a drizzle of olive oil to pan along with onion and mushrooms and cook for about five minutes, stirring occasionally (add a tablespoon of water to pan if onion starts to burn). Add soy sauce and sour cream, immediately remove from heat and stir to combine.
Slice beef thinly against the grain. Divide roasted winter vegetables between plates and top with sliced beef. Spoon over mushroom sauce.