FROM THE NEWS DESK
As I lay in bed and listened to disturbingly close fireworks explode on a residential Frankton street on Sunday night, my blood boiled.
Our poor dog was climbing the walls in panic while the cat disappeared completely.
But I was most angry at the stupidity of people letting off fireworks during a prohibited fire season.
What is there about TOTAL FIRE BAN that some people do not understand?
Only a week ago the stupidity, arrogance or ignorance of another person or people saw them light a campfire at Rat Point, starting a massive fire affecting hundreds of people who live and work in the Glenorchy area as well as those holidaying there and the enormous number of volunteers needed to fight the flames.
Only a few days earlier I had been lying in bed listening to fire works explode at a dry, windy camping ground in the Waitaki Lakes area.
Seriously? There is no excuse.