Women, dog escape blaze just in time
Four people escaped unharmed as a large chimney fire engulfed the ceiling cavity of a Queenstown home.
Two residents were comforted by firefighters following the blaze in Peregrine Pl, which started about 8.50am on Friday last week.
The pair, one wrapped in a blanket, and their dog looked visibly shaken following the fire.
Two men who were at the property fixing the home’s garage door also managed to get out as four fire crews arrived on scene.
One of the men said the ‘‘pretty big’’ fire enveloped the whole chimney and raced up into the ceiling cavity.
It was lucky firefighters arrived in time, he said.
A fire investigator arrived at the three-storey home about 10.15am.
Fire Service central communications shift manager Mike Wanoa said the chimney fire was ‘‘well-involved’’ when Queenstown and Frankton crews arrived at the property.
It had moved into the ‘‘very high roof’’ space and was contained about 9.40am.
Queenstown Volunteer Fire Brigade chief fire officer Doug McKay was not able to comment.
The poplar trees on the corner of Panorama Tce and Maxwell Pl which the council has voted to remove.