Dryer causes fire at Alex beauty sa­lon

Central Otago Mirror - - YOUR PAPER, YOUR PLACE - JO MCKEN­ZIE-MCLEAN

A dryer left on af­ter clos­ing caused a fire at an Alexan­dra beauty sa­lon early Mon­day morn­ing.

Alexan­dra Vol­un­teer Fire Bri­gade Chief Fire Of­fi­cer Russell An­der­son said fire crews ar­rived at Har­mony Skin & Beauty on Tar­bert Street about 5.50am af­ter a cleaner who turned up for work could smell smoke com­ing from the back of the build­ing.

‘‘We ar­rived and made en­try to the locked build­ing and the dryer in the laun­dry had been on fire and caused sig­nif­i­cant smoke dam­age through­out the build­ing ... It has burned through the ceil­ing and be­cause all the doors were open there is dam­age through­out the en­tire build­ing.’’

He sus­pected a dryer left over­heated and caused the fire.

‘‘There has ob­vi­ously been a mal­func­tion overnight. We are con­fi­dent it was the dryer that caused it.’’

Har­mony Skin & Beauty coowner Trudi Hull said while it was ‘‘closed doors’’ at the mo­ment, they would be trad­ing again as soon as pos­si­ble.

‘‘We are op­ti­mistic what has hap­pened is fix­able and is not go­ing to cause us a long-term prob­lem.’’

RHYS CHAM­BER­LAIN

Alexan­dra Curl­ing Club mem­ber John Campbell hopes freez­ing tem­per­a­tures will con­tinue.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from New Zealand

© PressReader. All rights reserved.