Hunters told to heed gun safety rules
A coroner is reminding recreational hunters of gun safety after a Cromwell hunter died after shooting himself in the stomach.
Garry Tall, 61, died on March 3, 2016, after hunting with a friend in the Nevis Valley in Central Otago.
Tall, an experienced hunter, was with a work colleague in an area known as the Old Woman Range. He was hunting with a rifle that was secured in a gun case. After shooting a deer, and making their way back to the ute, Tall’s rifle went off at the vehicle.
The coroner’s report says Tall’s rifle was found in a foam lined rigid plastic case, and it appeared the fabric sling had got folded inside the trigger guard with pressure on the trigger.
‘‘Mr Tall either attempted to clear the rifle and inadvertently loaded another round in it or he didn’t clear the rifle and loaded it into the rigid gun case with the barrel towards him. Upon closing the lid Mr Tall inadvertently had the sling caught under the trigger guard that fired the rifle.’’
Coroner Brigette Windley reiterated the fire arm safety rules: always point the firearm in a safe direction and store a firearm and ammunition safely.
Alexandra designer Debbie Paton.