Mixed out­comes for Bal­clutha foot­ball teams


The Bal­clutha men’s first eleven moved to the top of Otago’s 2nd divi­sion on Satur­day with a 4-3 win over Dunedin Tech­ni­cal at De Carle Park in Dunedin.

It looked like Bal­clutha was go­ing to make light work of the divi­sion lead­ers when Jack Bar­r­a­clough bagged a goal from a penalty and then added an­other in the first 30 min­utes.

The men in red soon lost the 2-0 ad­van­tage. With a fight­back, Tech­ni­cal scored two in five min­utes with a curl­ing shot from out­side of the area and a penalty of their own to go into the sheds level at half­time.

Tech­ni­cal took the lead just af­ter the break. Up stepped man of the match, Jack Bar­r­a­clough, with an­other two goals, thanks to great as­sists from Danny Sim­monds.

Bal­clutha cap­tain Matt Mo­ra­han de­scribed the win as proof that cham­pion teams do not fold at the first set­back.

Coach Pete Hon­nan was a lit­tle more cir­cum­spect, and recog­nised the huge tar­get that lead­ing the divi­sion puts on their backs and the hard work needed from here to re­tain the ti­tle.

Mean­while, the sec­ond XI went close in a per­for­mance that con­tin­ues to give the club and coach, Dave Hunter, a lot of hope for the sea­son.

With the scores tied nil-all at half­time the op­po­si­tion, Green Is­land, opened the scor­ing but the re­sult was soon level again when Jesse Ma­her hit the back of the net.

With Clutha hav­ing chances to take the lead, tragedy struck with two min­utes left, when Green Is­land scram­bled a last- minute win­ner.

Man of the match for Clutha was the goal­keeper Marty Hay­ward.

The women’s team had their sec­ond loss of the sea­son.

With a num­ber of play­ers un­avail­able or un­well, it was a gutsy per­for­mance but it was al­ways go­ing to be a tough ask against a very good North­ern side.

The Gar­dens ground is ru­moured to be New Zealand’s steep­est foot­ball pitch, and play­ing uphill is al­ways dif­fi­cult, so we were three nil down at half­time.

De­spite dom­i­nat­ing the sec­ond half, we con­ceded again.

Two late goals from Vic­to­ria de Filippi added some re­spectabil­ity, and the game fin­ished at 4-2.

Player of the match was Louise Dev­er­son.

‘‘Cham­pion teams do not fold at the first set­back.’’


Bal­clutha’s Vic­to­ria de Filippi showed her class against a tough north­ern side, with two late goals.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from New Zealand

© PressReader. All rights reserved.