Manny was lucky — this time
When Lee Rapson saw the nylon fishing line dangling from his dog’s mouth on Monday his heart sank.
A few years ago Manny, now 12, saw a yummy morsel lying on the sand and, being a typical gannetdog, chomped onto the delicacy. . . and swallowed it.
After an uncomfortable weekend on sedatives and painkillers, a trip was made in the early hours of a Monday morning to keep a 9am appointment with specialist vets.
Three operations and $6000 later, Manny was able to return home.
But on Monday this week, when Lee saw the nylon dangling from Manny’s mouth, dollar signs again flashed through his mind.
“Luckily though, after forcing Manny’s jaws open I was able to remove the hook from inside his cheek,” Lee said.
He is angry that people who fish from the beach are so careless with hooks and bait.
“They should always check that their fishing gear is not left lying around where dogs or seagulls can be tempted by the bait.
“And what if a child — or an adult — trod on the hook . . . it’s so dangerous and causes pain and anxiety in victims,” Lee said.
With summer coming on and crowds flocking to our beaches, he urges beach fishers to be alert to the dangers of leaving hooks unattended.
■ A Whangamata Animal Hospital spokeswoman said the clinic had treated three or four patients with embedded hooks in the past year, while Whangamata Vet Hospital said they had seen five or six patients, including a cat.
LUCKY ESCAPE: Lee Rapson and 12-year-old Manny. INSET: The vicious spike on the hook.