Loose safety cul­ture risk to staff

DEMM Engineering & Manufacturing - - MAINTENANCE MATTERS - Go to demm.co.nz/en­quiry quote: D140828.

El­e­vated work plat­forms (EWP) re­quire a six-monthly and a 10-year ma­jor cer­ti­fi­ca­tion to com­ply with the rel­e­vant stan­dard, reg­u­la­tions and MBIE code of prac­tise (re­fer AS1418.10 or equiv­a­lent). EHL’s Steve Boyde, is a CBIP (Cer­ti­fied Board for In­spec­tion Per­son­nel) in­spec­tor who of­ten sees ma­chines that have been cer­ti­fied, but are clearly non-com­pli­ant, and is baf­fled that com­pa­nies would put their staff and cus­tomers at risk by ei­ther not en­gag­ing a cer­ti­fied pro­fes­sional, or us­ing the cheap­est in­spec­tor to save a few bucks.

The in­dus­try is rather loosely reg­u­lated, and there­fore some com­pa­nies are us­ing un­cer­ti­fied in­spec­tors who are not cer­ti­fy­ing ma­chines to the rel­e­vant stan­dards, and not up­grad­ing the ma­chine’s safety fea­tures or soft­ware.

Be­cause the in­dus­try is not closely reg­u­lated, the stan­dards and codes are open to in­ter­pre­ta­tion by the in­spec­tor, and rather than in­spec­tors all cer­ti­fy­ing them the same. Of­ten com­pa­nies us­ing these in­spec­tors may have no idea their ma­chines have a sub­stan­dard cer­ti­fi­ca­tion, and are un­aware just how much they are putting their staff and cus­tomers at risk by not hav­ing them cer­ti­fied by a CBIP cer­ti­fied tech­ni­cian.

EHL are also mem­bers of the El­e­vated Work Plat­form As­so­ci­a­tion, which en­sures they al­ways have the lat­est in­for­ma­tion, and that their cer­ti­fied tech­ni­cian’s skills are con­stantly in-line with the in­dus­try stan­dard, some­thing Boyde says is crit­i­cal and any­one who is cer­ti­fy­ing these ma­chines should be­long to, en­sur­ing safety when ver­i­fy­ing plant and equip­ment that has the po­ten­tial to harm, like an EWP does.

There are new rules and reg­u­la­tions com­ing into play in the near fu­ture, which should en­sure a lit­tle more reg­u­la­tion is en­forced, but it is some­thing that all EWP own­ers need to be aware of when en­gag­ing some­one to un­der­take their cer­ti­fi­ca­tions.

Boyde reit­er­ates that you should “al­ways en­gage with a CBIP cer­ti­fied pro­fes­sional, and you’re guar­an­teed they are work­ing to the high­est stan­dard avail­able in New Zealand to en­sure the safety of you, your staff, and your cus­tomers”.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from New Zealand

© PressReader. All rights reserved.