The Hazardous Substances
(Fireworks, Safety Ammunition, and Other Explosives Transfer) Regulations 2003 set out the controls that apply to explosives and provide approvals for various classifications of explosives. The Hazardous Substances (Classes 1 to 5 Controls) Regulations 2001 set out requirements for the following:
• Approved handlers.
• Display and sale.
• Locations for storage and use.
• Protection from sources of ignition.
• Separation distance requirements.
• Detonation or deflagration requirements.
• Indoor and outdoor pyrotechnic displays.
• Transfer of class 1 substances.
• Controlled Substance Licence for possessing explosives.
For most explosives and pyrotechnics, a Controlled Substance Licence is required in order to possess the explosive or pyrotechnic.