Hip hop fans out of pocket after can­celled show

East and Bays Courier - - OUT & ABOUT - MANDY TE

Auck­land hip hop fans have been left out of pocket after tick­ets for a can­celled Korean per­former’s show were not re­funded.

In June, it was an­nounced that Korean rap star Changmo would be per­form­ing on July 22 at Eight Night­club on Wyn­d­ham St in down­town Auck­land.

Changmo’s con­cert was pro­moted by a com­pany called Me, My­self, &, which was sell­ing tick­ets for $60 each.

Hip hop fan Ash­ley-maree Tekai said she was ‘‘re­ally ex­cited’’ when she heard Changmo was com­ing to New Zealand.

She pur­chased two early­bird tick­ets for $80 from Me, My­self, &’s web­site.

‘‘The site looked quite for­mal,’’ Tekai said.

But a day be­fore the con­cert, Tekai re­ceived an email from Eight Night­club which said Changmo’s show had been can­celled and a full re­fund would be of­fered.

Months later, Tekai has still not been re­funded.

She even vis­ited the club to ask

‘‘It's un­fair that peo­ple had to wait this long for a re­fund’’ Ash­ley-maree Tekai

about the re­fund but staff could not pro­vide her with any answers, she said.

‘‘I was gut­ted about the con­cert,’’ Tekai said.

‘‘It’s un­fair that peo­ple had to wait this long for a re­fund.’’

Univer­sity stu­dent Kath­leen Nishi also pur­chased a ticket to Changmo’s con­cert and has not re­ceived a re­fund. ‘‘I feel stink,’’ Nishi said. She thought the pro­moter’s web­site looked le­git­i­mate be­cause it was sell­ing other con­cert tick­ets, she said. ‘‘I don’t know who to blame.’’ Me, My­self &’s web­site has ex­pired and the pro­moter did not re­spond to re­quests for com­ment.

A post made by the pro­moter on its Face­book page said tick­ets that were pur­chased from its web­site were paid di­rectly to Eight Night­club’s bank ac­count.

It said cus­tomers should email Eight Night­club for any re­funds.

Phone calls to Eight Night­club were not an­swered but over text mes­sages, a spokesper­son for the club said it had been ‘‘cheated by the Korean agent’’.

Over di­rect mes­sages on In­sta­gram to a fan, Changmo said the New Zealand pro­moter did not sort out his visa which was the main rea­son his con­cert was can­celled.

The club also can­celled a show for Korean rap­pers Su­per­bee and myundo in Fe­bru­ary.

ADAM JA­COB­SON/STUFF

Ash­ley-maree Tekai and other K-hip hop fans are still wait­ing to get their ticket re­funds.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from New Zealand

© PressReader. All rights reserved.