Coastal museum of motors section listed on market
The home to one of New Zealand’s most impressive private sports car and motorbike collections in a museum-like format is on the market for sale.
Pine Harbour Motorsport Museum in Beachlands, East Auckland, houses a priceless collection of Kiwi motorsport history, including a 1928 Auburn Speedster - a class winner in the American Great Race, and a 1977 Yamaha 750cc motorcycle which won that year’s Isle of Man TT ridden by Joey Dunlop.
It also has a 1959 Cooper Climax T51 driven by motoring legends Sir Jack Brabham and Bruce McLaren, a 1964 JAP Speedway bike ridden by the great Ivan Mauger, and a Ford Cosworth Sierra that won the 1989 Bathurst 1000 driven by Dick Johnson and John Bowe.
The outstanding collection is owned by motor-racing enthusiast Allan Drinkrow whose companies developed much of the commercial and residential properties in and around Pine Harbour Marina. Drinkrow leases the museum building in which the automotive memorabilia is showcased. The 640-square metre building at 40 Ninth View Avenue sits on 1416 sq m of land zoned for residential terrace housing and apartment buildings under the Auckland Unitary Plan.
The Pine Harbour Motorsport Museum, open for viewings to dedicated motoring enthusiasts by appointment only, pays an annual rental of $36,442 plus GST.
The land and buildings are being marketed for sale at auction on October 25 through Bayleys Manukau.
Salespeople Dave Stanley and Nick Bayley say the zoning of the land at 40 Ninth View Avenue means the property could be maintained in its current status under the council’s ‘existing use’ clause, or redeveloped into a different format.
‘‘While the Pine Harbour Motorsport Museum is a modern and well-constructed purposebuilt building only five years old, the real value of this site lies in its reconfiguration potential as a terraced unit residential site,’’ Bayley says.
‘‘Across the road is a row of three-storey terraced housing units built to make intense use of the land space available.
‘‘Plans have also been submitted for an apartment complex on a similar corner site some 100 metres away on Ninth View Avenue. Immediately to the neighbouring side and rear of the museum building, the flat land is currently used as a storage yard for containers, small boat trailers and industrial piping and metalwork. This land is also zoned for potential higher density residential development.
‘‘The museum is quite content to remain on the site as a tenant generating holding income while the necessary council consents are acquired.’’
The existing high-beam singlestorey structure on the site is separated into two distinct areas – an administrative office and staff amenities portion, and the bigger open-plan showroom.
It’s constructed on reinforced concrete foundations, with precast concrete panels at the rear and steel columns at the front – all on a polished concrete floor. The exterior of the building is extensively glazed with commercial grade aluminium joinery.
‘‘The real value of this site lies in its reconfiguration potential.’’
The building that houses the Pine Harbour Motorsport Museum is an impressive and stylish display showroom, with additional office areas. Full story at www.stuff.co.nz/auckland/local-news/eastern-courier.