The aim is toxin removal and best met with a fast. Only fast with the supervision of your naturopath.
• Retention or cleansing enemas (commonly with warm water, coffee, lemon juice, herb tea and acidophilus sp./ bifidus sp. bacteria), flush both liver and colon. Recommending an enema is rarely met with enthusiasm, but reduced bloating, increased energy and the clear-head that result are strong motivators for an easy, fast treatment.
• A raw food diet is also a massive boost for the body with a huge increase in nutrientrich food; fruit, nuts, vegetables, sprouts and healthy oils. Because processed foods are eliminated, our toxin intake drops dramatically – easing the digestive cleansing workload.
• Support digestion with vegetable juices such as carrot, ginger, beetroot and celery (apple juice to sweeten). A tip: a piece of fruit or glass of juice before meals aids digestion.
• Fruit smoothies with berries, especially blueberry and raspberry.
• Fibre supplement herb psyllium or flaxseed fibre mixed with aloe, apple juice and water for a colon cleansing drink.
• Slippery Elm powder soothes inflammation, relieving indigestion. It thickens rapidly so mix and drink immediately.
• Peppermint and licorice teas.
• Burdock, calendula, echinacea, fennel, fenugreek, olive leaf extract, red raspberry and cleavers.
• Licorice too is good but use in short bursts (less than seven days) and avoid if you have high blood pressure.