HOUSEHOLD ENERGY CONSUMPTION: 8%
Incandescent or tungsten bulbs: inefficient, converting just 5% of the energy they use into light. The remaining 95% is turned into heat. Short lifespan (1000 hours).
New generation halogens: Lower wattage and more efficient, new gen halogens will last twice as long as incandescent and are 30% more efficient CFLs (compact fluorescent lights): CFLs use 80% less energy and last between 6,000 and 15,000 hours. Savings can amount to $111 over the life of the bulb.
LEDs: Five times more energy efficient than incandescent light bulbs, and super cheap to run, an LED can last between 50,000 and 100,000 hours.