As we head into what we hope will be some long hot summer days, now is the perfect time to talk about fire safety. This summer is predicted to be a hot one so make sure you are mindful of the fire risks and dangers around your property both inside and out.
• Be mindful of any local fire restrictions before using your barbeque.
• Check the expiry date on your barbeque gas cylinder and ensure all of the gas pipes and connections are not cracked or corroded.
• Keep a close eye on anything you are cooking and keep everything clean by removing excess oils from hot plates and drip trays.
• If you are going camping, make sure you take a smoke alarm with you.
• Position your Christmas tree and decorations away from any potential fire sources such as lamps, electrical sockets, or candle flames.
• Do not overload your electrical sockets with too many Christmas lights.
• Keep those lawns cut down.
• Make sure you have a fire permit if you need to burn anything in town and within 3km of the coastline.
If you have any questions about the fire season status around your area, please contact Council on 323 0000.