Every diabetic or weight watcher wants to know about low-sugar desserts. Well, here they are, all low GI and diabetic friendly – and delicious to boot!
Plum & Cinnamon Cake Ready in 50 minutes Serves 12
½ cup low-fat dairy-free spread 1 teaspoon vanilla essence ½ cup firmly packed brown sugar 3 eggs, separated ½ cup white self-raising flour ½ cup wholemeal self-raising flour 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon 4 whole canned plums in syrup, drained, halved and seeded 2 teaspoons icing sugar
• Preheat the oven to 180°C. Grease a 20cm ring pan; line the base with baking paper.
• Using an electric mixer, beat the spread, vanilla, sugar and egg yolks in a small bowl until light and fluffy. Transfer mixture to a medium bowl; stir in flours and cinnamon.
• Using an electric mixer, beat the egg whites in a clean, small bowl until soft peaks form; gently fold into the cake batter.
• Spread the batter into the pan, place plums, cut-side down, on top. Bake in a moderate oven for about 30 minutes. Stand cake for 10 minutes before turning onto a wire rack to cool.
• Serve dusted with sifted icing sugar.
• Suitable to freeze. Not suitable to microwave.
PER SERVE: Energy: 164kcal, 690kj Protein: 3.2g Fat: 8g Saturated fat: 1.8g Cholesterol: 59mg Carbohydrate: 19g Fibre: 1.3g Sodium: 148mg