Display highlights fire safety
A new display at Franklin Family Services is spreading the message on fire safety awareness.
Pukekohe Volunteer Fire Brigade firefighter, Darryn Pritchard helped to set up a fire safety display at the entry of Franklin Family Support Services in Roulston St, Pukekohe.
The display includes mangled and charred irons, heaters and power-boxes that have ignited real-life house fires.
Franklin Family Support Services account administrator Bonnie Reid said the organisation was more than happy to help educate people.
’’It’s such a great opportunity to bring the community awareness of some kind and obviously fire is right up there because it’s the little things you do that can make a big difference.’’
Pritchard said many homes still did not have adequate or working smoke alarms.
‘‘With new laws regarding smoke alarms, tenants need to hit up their landlords and make sure they’ve got the required smoke alarms.’’
High electricity prices, Pritchard said, had led to an increase in the use of candles.
‘‘Unfortunately people put them near curtains and they catch on fire, so it’s new things like that we’re really talking to people about.’’
Aluminium pots, overloaded power boxes and heaters are also a major cause of house fires and Pritchard said all items must be kept at least a metre away from heaters.
The New Zealand Fire Service can also provide homes with a fire safety check and help to create a fire escape route for families.
‘‘Try and do what you can to protect yourself with fire blankets, smoke alarms and fire extinguishers,’’ he said.
Since July 1 2016, it is law for all residential rental properties to be installed with smoke alarms.
Landlords who fail to comply with their responsibilities regarding smoke alarm requirements face a maximum penalty of $4,000. A maximum fine of $3000 can also be dealt to any tenants who cause or permit any interference with, or render inoperative any means of escape from fire – including smoke alarms.
Additional information can be found in the Franklin Family Services reception area or contact the Pukekohe Volunteer Fire Brigade on 09 238 7669.
Darryn Pritchard and Bonnie Reid want to keep the community aware of risk of fire their homes.