Curry-spiced coconut chicken soup with kumara, cauliflower and celery
300g skinless, boneless chicken
3 cups cold water
¼ tsp salt
CURRY-SPICED COCONUT SOUP
200g orange kumara
½ tsp oil, for cooking
½ brown onion, finely diced
1½ tsp finely grated ginger
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tbsp curry spices (see below) Pinch of chilli flakes/powder or
cayenne powder (optional) ¼ head cauliflower, stalk and
florets roughly diced 2cm
1 cup chicken or vegetable stock 1½ cups boiling water
¼ tsp salt
1½ tsp soy sauce
½ tsp runny honey
1 small can (165ml) lite coconut milk Zest and juice of ½ lime
1 stalk celery
2 tbsp coriander leaves
Pinch of chilli flakes/powder or
cayenne powder (optional) ½ lime, cut into wedges (optional)
Mix together 2 tsp curry powder, 1 tsp garam masala, 1 tsp yellow mustard seeds, ½ tsp ground ginger and ¼ tsp ground turmeric
BRING a full kettle to the boil.
1. Pat chicken dry with paper towels. Place in a small pot (with a lid) with water and salt, cover and bring to a gentle boil on medium heat. As soon as it boils, turn off heat and leave, still covered, for 15-20 mins. The residual heat will cook chicken through. Remove chicken from poaching liquid and set aside to rest, covered in foil.
2. While chicken comes to the boil, peel and dice kumara 1-2cm and grate carrot. Heat oil in a medium pot (with a lid) on medium heat. Cook onion for about 3 mins, until softened. Stir through ginger, garlic, curry spices and chilli (if using) and cook for a further 30 seconds to 1 minute, until fragrant.
3. Add kumara, carrot, cauliflower, stock, boiling water, salt and soy sauce. Stir well, cover, increase heat to high and bring to a fast simmer. Once simmering, remove lid and cook on medium heat for 13-15 mins, until vegetables are cooked through and soft.
4. Thinly slice celery and tear coriander leaves for garnishes. Set aside.
5. Stir honey, coconut milk and lime zest and juice through soup. Use a stick blender to blend soup, until smooth; season. Slice, dice or shred chicken.
TO SERVE, ladle soup into bowls.
Top with a handful of chicken, celery, chilli flakes/powder (if using) and coriander. Serve with a lime wedge to squeeze over (if desired).