Old Boys win, Hau­tapu col­lects tro­phy


Hau­tapu hold on to their po­si­tion at the top of the Waikato pre­mier club rugby com­pe­ti­tion, de­spite los­ing their lat­est match to Hamil­ton Old Boys.

The top-of-the ta­ble clash was played at Fred Jones Park on Satur­day with the hosts com­ing out victors, 27-13.

Hamil­ton Old Boys won the game but failed to score a bonus point try, to move them to the top round one stand­ings.

It meant Haut­pau held on to the round one lead by just one point to win the Ron Craw­ford Memo­rial tro­phy.

In other games on Satur­day, Melville de­feated Otoro­hanga, 30-27 at Is­land Re­serve with a penalty right on full­time.

Each team scored three tries a piece with the out­come of the game down to those on kick­ing du­ties.

Otoro­hanga’s full­back and cap­tain, Te Amo Wil­bore slot­ted three con­ver­sions and two penal­ties to add 12 points to his team’s tally.

It wasn’t enough though as Melville’s full­back, Sam Toa, booted over three con­ver­sions and three penal­ties to add 15 points.

Over on Camp­bell Park, Mor­rinsville Rugby and Sports was at home lead­ing Hamil­ton Marist when the half­time whis­tle blew.

But the hosts were run down in the sec­ond by the vis­i­tors from the city, los­ing 22-17 to Marist.

Mor­rinsville scored two tries through full­back Cal­lum Wood and winger Jayson Cham­bers, with Wood adding a con­ver­sion kick and first-five Chris St­ef­fert also kick­ing a con­ver­sion goal and a penalty.

Marist’s points came through three tries, from prop Josh Kaho, cen­tre BJ Lima and re­place­ment, Pe­dro Scar­da­pane. First­five Dy­lan Bower added the ex­tras, two con­ver­sions and a penalty kick.

Uni­ver­sity opened the scor­ing against op­po­nents Fraser Tech, at Waikato Uni­ver­sity, but the mo­men­tum flowed the other way for the rest of the game.

Tech ran in seven tries in to­tal to Uni­ver­sity’s two, to win 41-10.

Te Awa­mutu Sports had the bye.

In the Gal­lagher Women’s Pre­mier­ship, Otoro­hanga won its first game of the sea­son, de­feat­ing Pu­taruru, 31-10 at Is­land Re­serve.

Otoro­hanga dot­ted down five times and kicked three con­ver­sion to win the match.

It was the fi­nal week on round one club rugby with cal­cu­la­tions now be­ing made to de­cide pro­mo­tion and rel­e­ga­tion for round two.

Te Awa­mutu Sports had the bye, so the club couldn’t add to its over­all points in the Pre­mier­ship stand­ings.

The club will play in the Cham­pi­onship Divi­sion when the sec­ond round kicks off.

All other teams will re­main in the Pre­mier­ship in round two, for a chance to win the Brew­eries Shield

Te Awa­mutu will be joined by the top sev­ens teams from the Divi­sion 1A com­pe­ti­tion, in­clud­ing Taupiri, South­ern United, Sub­urbs, Hin­uera, Pu­taruru, United Mata­mata Sports and Leam­ing­ton.

The two teams that reach the fi­nal will be pro­moted to the Pre­mier com­pe­ti­tion in 2019. The fi­nal will be play­ing for the Lion Cup.

The re­main­ing five teams, Piron­gia, Te Rapa, Ohaupo, Frank­ton and Huntly Col­lege Old Boys will con­tinue to play in the Divi­sion 1 com­pe­ti­tion for the Mooloo Shield.

The Waikato Rugby Union’s chair­man’s meet­ing was held on Mon­day and the draw for round two was ex­pected to be re­leased on May 22.

Hamil­ton Old Boys blind­side flanker Jor­dan Mani­hera heads off on a run against Hau­tapu at Fred Jones Park.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from New Zealand

© PressReader. All rights reserved.