Vis­it­ing teams se­cure Satur­day vic­tory


All five of Satur­day’s Loaded WaiBOP Premier­ship fixtures re­sulted in vic­to­ries to vis­it­ing teams as the lead­ing sides kept pace with each other.

West Hamil­ton United left it late to se­cure a tough 2-1 vic­tory at Otu­moetai, but the three points they gained main­tained their po­si­tion at the Premier­ship’s sum­mit.

John Cameron was the hero for the Hamil­to­ni­ans as he struck with only a few min­utes left on the clock. Only mo­ments be­fore the hosts had looked like steal­ing a point af­ter equal­is­ing from the penalty spot.

Hashim Noorzai had ear­lier given West Hamil­ton a slen­der half time lead with a goal of his own from the spot.

Vic­tory was im­por­tant for West Hamil­ton in many ways.

Most ob­vi­ously, it kept their good re­cent run go­ing, and the con­fi­dence that flows with it, ahead of this week­end’s sec­ond con­sec­u­tive trip across the Kaimais to play Fly­ing Mul­let Pa­pamoa.

Pa­pamoa, for their part, eased to a 5-0 vic­tory at rapidly sink­ing Mer­cury Toko­roa.

Two Camp­bell Hig­gins goals had the visi­tors in con­trol by half time, then Alex Wil­son ex­tended the lead.

Teenage sub­sti­tute, Liam Mal­loy, grabbed a late dou­ble to se­cure a tidy look­ing mar­gin for the men from the Bay.

Buoyed by their re­cent ISPS Handa Chatham Cup suc­cess, Pa­pamoa looks to be back in the groove, and their match against West Hamil­ton prom­ises to be a real mid-sea­son clas­sic.

The com­pe­ti­tion just below the top two is equally as in­tense.

Both Melville United, in third, and Taupo, now up to fourth, se­cured large wins at grounds no more than a cou­ple of kilo­me­tres apart.

Melville saw their goals spread around as they beat Tau- ranga Blue Rovers Pem­ber­ton Park.

Michael Kapa, David Bren­nan, Harry Coul­son, Jordi Dit­fort with two, and Ben Wheat­ley all found the back of the net as Melville com­fort­ably claimed their first win since early May. 6-2 at

Just up the road at Southy Field Taupo was, if any­thing, even more im­pres­sive as they turned a nar­row half time lead into a 5-2 win over a Tau­ranga Boys’ side that sat at the top of the Premier­ship only two weeks ago.

Serial goal scorer, Fin­lay Smith, led the way with a sec­ond half hat trick for the Lakesiders, while By­ron Thess­man’s early goal had given the visi­tors a one goal lead at the break.

Matt Lewis also got in on the goal scor­ing act for Taupo, while Kody Gorst and Stan Rust gave the stu­dents some­thing to take away from the match.

In the other match, Co­mag Mata­mata Swifts made it a per­fect week­end for the vis­it­ing teams with a 4-0 win at Te Awa­mutu.

The hosts were un­lucky to be be­hind to Dayne Willem­sen’s goal at half time, but Mata­mata ran away with things af­ter the break.

Bjorn Vossen, Jamie Bax­ter and Willem­sen all scored to give the Swifts their sec­ond suc­ces­sive win by that mar­gin.

Waikato Uni­col’s match at rock bot­tom Hamil­ton Wan­der­ers was post­poned as Uni­col were oth­er­wise oc­cu­pied.

Their 3-2 ISPS Handa Chatham Cup vic­tory at Franklin United saw them join Pa­pamoa in round 3 of the cup.

Mata­mata’s Sean Kip­ping and Te Awa­mutu’s Thomas Watts con­test the ball.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from New Zealand

© PressReader. All rights reserved.