None of your beeswax - that’s provided
A historic house in Kaiko¯ura is running a candle-making workshop for children later this month.
Fyffe House has been closed after being yellow-stickered in the 7.8-magnitude earthquake in November, but will use the adjacent Pink Shed for the workshop.
Visitor host Shelley Brady said candles would be made out of beeswax because it was a safe way of making candles, rather than melting hot wax.
The class would also focus on heritage, looking back at when candles, or lamps lit by whale oil, were the source of lighting households.
Even when electricity was first connected to the town it was in scarce supply and households were limited to the number of lights they could use, Brady said.
‘‘The last owner of Fyffe House, George Low, had no electricity installed upstairs and used a candle at night right up to 1980 when he died. He only used electricity downstairs to listen to his radiogram and mend his fishing net.’’
Candles made out of beeswax were popular in the 70s, and Brady said they had been fortunate to obtain coloured beeswax sheets.
‘‘They are all natural products, which have a lovely luxurious smell with the beeswax.
‘‘It is potentially an opportunity to make one or two candles and others for a gift.’’
Manager Ann McCaw agreed that beeswax which smelled and looked beautiful.
Creative Communities had given funding for the workshops, allowing Fyffe House to run the first one for free. There will be more children’s workshops to follow, followed by some for adults.
‘‘The magic of Fyffe House is that it relies on people valuing our heritage.
‘‘We’re fortunate that the community love our house here and we embrace that.
‘‘This is our way of giving back to the community,’’ McCaw said.
Bookings are essential, phone (03) 319 5835 and leave a message advising the number of people attending, contact number and Fyffe House will ring back to confirm.