The Minister of Conservation will have more information to ponder regarding the proposed Aotea Lagoon wake park, after Porirua City Council approved technical changes to its submission.
Council has approved a lease for Aquacom NZ for a commercial wake board operation and cafe, pro-shop and office to be built.
Its decision is awaiting approval from the minister, before resource consents can be lodged.
Senior leisure assets and services policy analyst Christine Jacobson told the full council on December 8 that PCC was asked to clarify why 26 public submissions were not allowed during the hearings process. She said council officers could either not verify the address of the submitter or the content of their submission.
The department was happy with PCC’s reasoning, Ms Jacobson said.
Councillor Ken Douglas said he was grumpy with proceedings, feeling all the information DOC required regarding submissions was in PCC’s initial report.
‘‘The [council] officers must not include another single word in what they write back because we will be reviewed,’’ he said.
Prior to this item, Mayor Nick Leggett and councillors Euon Murrell and Tim Sheppard left the chamber, as they had previously expressed opinions over the wake park. Mr Murrell said he was leaving under protest but did not want to affect any outcome.