FREDA was once state-of-the-art
In 1953 an automatic telephone exchange began operation to service the 115 phone subscribers in Pukerua Bay previously handled from Plimmerton.
This pamphlet for FREDA reflects the further great advances made in 1968, when telephone numbers for Wellington’s outlying suburbs were integrated into the main sequence of the telephone directory.
An extended Wellington region dialling area was now in operation, with the new Courtenay Place Exchange and modified suburban exchanges.
It was no longer a toll call to phone Eastbourne, Porirua, Stokes Valley, Tawa, Titahi Bay, Plimmerton, Pukerua Bay, Upper Hutt or Wainuiomata.
However, it would not be until the 1970s that people could use Subscriber Toll Dialling (STD) to make their own toll calls to anywhere in New Zealand without an operator.
Remember FREDA? The Post Office’s information leaflet on the Flat Rate Extended Dialling Area, introduced in 1968. (ATL ref: Eph-A-TELEPHONE1968-01)