Club retains presence at popular bay
It is Saturday, March 9, 1968. The crowd teems onto the Titahi Bay shoreline in readiness for the New Zealand Surf Lifesaving Championships.
This was the first time the Titahi Bay club had hosted the national event since its formation in 1938. The club went on to win the junior and senior boat competitions that weekend.
With its wide sandy strand, rolling breakers and windswept seas beyond, Titahi Bay has long been attractive to day- trippers, swimmers, lifesavers, surfers and fishers.
The first public transport to the bay was a horsedrawn bus service, established in the 1890s by farmer William Jillet.
The sale of land for bachbuilding soon followed. The area became a destination for wealthy Wellingtonians wanting a holiday retreat.
In the 1920s a train service ran from Wellington to Porirua, with a connection by the horse express down to the bay. The Titahi Bay Club Hotel offered accommodation for those staying overnight.
As the Porirua region and population grew, the bay developed into a residential suburb. The area still maintains its coastal feel. It has become a community of people who work in surrounding towns and cities but return at night to their haven by the sea.
The club continues to patrol the beach and remains a major presence at local and national surf lifesaving carnivals and competitions.
Surf's up: Contestants and onlookers compete for space at the Surf Life
Saving National Championships, Titahi Bay, March 9, 1968.