Court fees de­fined

Kapi-Mana News - - NEWS - By SAN­DRA AN­DREWS

Many civil and fam­ily pro­ceed­ings in the court sys­tem may need a fee to be paid be­fore the case can be­gin and be­fore some parts can go ahead.

This is in ad­di­tion to pay­ing a lawyer. Fees for par­ent­ing or­ders and re­la­tion­ship prop­erty ap­pli­ca­tions have ap­plied since July 1 to en­sure those us­ing the court con­trib­ute to its costs. There is no fee for a pro­tec­tion or­der.

If you are can­not af­ford the fee (that is you would ex­pe­ri­ence un­due fi­nan­cial hard­ship if you paid the fee), then you can ap­ply to the court to have it waived.

If you qual­ify for le­gal aid, then you are el­i­gi­ble to have your fees waived – but you still need to ap­ply to the court to waiver the fees.

If you are on a ben­e­fit or liv­ing on su­per­an­nu­a­tion you will usu­ally qual­ify to have your fee waived.

To have the fee waived you need to fill out the cor­rect form, in­clude all in­for­ma­tion re­quired, sign the dec­la­ra­tion, and file the form at the court. Forms are avail­able from the court or from the Min­istry of Jus­tice web­site.

If you re­quire as­sis­tance, contact us.

Cit­i­zens Ad­vice Bureau Porirua is open Mon­day to Fri­day, 9am till 4.30pm ( 7pm on Thursdays) in Pem­ber House, level 2, 16 Ha­gley St.

Call 04 237 8846 or 0800 367 222 or email

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from New Zealand

© PressReader. All rights reserved.