Owners bitten in pocket
Wellington dog owners pay top dollar when it comes to registering their pooches – for apparently no greater service.
While Wellington City Council offers similar services to other councils overseeing dog control, it comes at a higher cost.
Wellingtonians pay $167.50 a year for an un-neutered dog, compared with $87 in Christchurch, $107 in Auckland and $146.50 in Porirua.
Figures obtained under the Official Information Act show that the council’s income from registration and infringement fees rose by $83,225 this year – from $ 1,041,903 in 2011 to $1,125,128.
Its spending on dog management was down by $12,621 – from $ 908,441 in 2011 to $895,820 in 2012. There was a difference of $229,308 between income and expenditure.
WCC public health manager Alison Curtis said money went towards wider corporate costs – property, lease, IT, power, etc – and public health management costs.
The council recoups 75 per cent of the costs associated with dog control through registration and infringement fees, and the remaining 25 per cent is covered by residential rates.
The council contracts out its animal control duty at a cost of $860,879 – up from $849,949 in 2011.
Ms Curtis said the council was working on initiatives to improve the value dog owners got for their registration fees.