Scout hall’s long history ends
The Linden Scout Hall, described as ‘‘quite a community asset’’ in its time, was demolished just before Christmas.
According to Tawa Historical Society chairman Bruce Murray, a scout troop was founded in Linden in 1946 by Ron Taylor and Stan Clements.
‘‘They got an old army hut as a Scout den, and they were allowed to place it on what is now known as Kowhai Park. It not only had its Scout uses, it became a community facility as well, and served these twin purposes for most of its six decades.’’
In July 1949 the first Presbyterian church service in what was then Tawa Flat was held in this tiny building. Later that year the Anglican Church purchased it and moved it to the site on the corner of Collins Ave and Hinau St in Linden, while money was raised to build the new St Peter’s, opened in 1955.
In its place a new and larger Scout den was built on Kowhai Park, and was ready for action in 1951.
‘‘The community use for this improved Sscout facility con- tinued, and it became quite a local asset. For example, once a month in 1951 and 1952 it was hired by the fledgling Tawa Baptist Fellowship for services till their new church was opened in October 1952.
‘‘Ballet school, pre-school, and after-school care groups used it. Craft fairs on Saturday mornings were held there, and martial arts activities used it.’’
It was also used as the temporary Linden Surgery while the medical practice’s new facilities were built a few yards north on Hinau St.
The end of the building’s use came in the 1990s, when the Scouts moved out. Without regular users, maintenance became problematic, and it was an asset Wellington City Council could not maintain, Mr Murray says.
‘‘Its passing will remove from the landscape a simple but basic community facility which has more than played its part in the development of the Tawa community and district.’’
Coming down: The building, on Kowhai Park, is demolished last month after Wellington City Council decides its maintenance is too expensive.