Fire at his­toric store

Neigh­bour vows help

Kapi-Mana News - - NEWS -

The his­toric Pau­ata­hanui Gen­eral Store, built in 1861, has been badly dam­aged by fire.

Fire­fight­ers were called to the blaze in Paekakariki Hill Rd about 11.30am on Sun­day.

Porirua se­nior sta­tion of­fi­cer Barry Murphy said the fire started in a deep fry­ing vat in the back of the build­ing.

It took fire­fight­ers about 40 min­utes to bring the blaze un­der con­trol and a fur­ther two hours be­fore the fire was to­tally out.

‘‘There’s a bit of fire dam­age and the kitchen area is pretty well de­stroyed,’’ Mr Murphy said.

The dairy own­ers were vis­i­bly up­set and de­clined to com­ment.

Diane Boy­ack, owner of nearby Ru­ral Trad­ing Post, said she spot­ted the smoke and called the fire bri­gade.

She said the own­ers were in shock, but the com­mu­nity would help them through.

Pho­tos: FAIRFAX NZ

Dairy fire: The Pau­ata­hanui Gen­eral store was badly dam­aged by a deep fryer fire on Sun­day.

Spec­ta­cle: Pa­trons of Ground Up cafe watch fire­fight­ers at­tend to next door’s Pau­ata­hanui Gen­eral Store blaze on Sun­day morn­ing.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from New Zealand

© PressReader. All rights reserved.