Be careful with button batteries
They power our watches, hearing aids, singing greeting cards, keys and lots of other gadgets we enjoy using. But button batteries can be deadly if swallowed. Keep them away from children and be aware that the elderly have mistaken them for pills. What are button batteries? They are coin-sized batteries used to power calculators, hearing aids, watches, singing Christmas cards, bathroom scales and many other devices we use every day.
They are often sold cheaply in plastic packs that contain a large number of batteries, which leaves plenty of spares in the opened pack if you need only one. Why can they be dangerous? When a button battery comes into contact with bodily fluids, it creates an electrical current. That happens even with flat batteries. The current burns surrounding body tissue and can seriously damage internal organs in as little as two hours.