Tennis served up at Porirua
Tennis has long been a popular pastime around Porirua.
Before there were tennis clubs with clubrooms and courts, people would play on courts in private homes.
The Mungavin family hosted many tennis afternoons at their courts in Porirua East, and Gear Homestead became famous for its ‘‘tennis parties’’, the last one being held about 1910.
Pauatahanui had three tennis clubs operating in the early 1900s. Hostilities between Pauatahanui Tennis Club and Horokiri Valley Tennis Club erupted in 1902, resulting in the Pauatahanui club refusing to play Horokiri.
Clubs were established in Titahi Bay, Pukerua Bay and at Porirua Hospital in the 1920s.
Kia Ora Tennis Club (later Porirua Tennis Club) was founded in 1930.