1840s: Once peaceful, the relationship between Maori and Pakeha became more fractious. 1846: Soldiers began to build the barracks in April 1846, under the direction of Governor George Grey. 1847: The barracks were completed after some difficulty. A small village sprang up just north of the fort. 1848: Three earthquakes in three days caused a large crack in the building, and it was evacuated. 1852: Soldiers left the area, and the village was eventually abandoned. 1855: Another earthquake caused further damage to the barracks. 1875: The Walker family began farming in the Ngati Toa area, and the barracks were turned into a farmhouse. James Walker set up the first rugby field in the area. 1910: The Walker family left the area. 1959: The site was excavated, but vandals destroyed some of the brickwork. 2004: A chain link fence was erected to deter vandals, who had been chipping away at the fort over the years.