Early days of firefighting
Some of Porirua’s most beautiful old wooden buildings have been destroyed by fire.
Before the 1930s, the Porirua district did not have organised firefighting units, so not much could be done other than watching buildings burn to the ground.
Disastrous fires in the 1920s and 1930s prompted Plimmerton residents to form a volunteer fire brigade in 1934, without funding or equipment.
Things improved in 1942 when the brigade acquired its first appliance, a hand cart with bucket pumps.
It bought its first motorised fire truck in 1945.
In the 1940s, the Tawa Flat Volunteer Brigade had a former Army Ford Model A truck for its fire engine.
That eventually became the first appliance for the Porirua Brigade.