Porirua fire devastating
A Porirua family escaped with the clothes on their back and a few personal items when fire gutted their home in Maher Pl last Tuesday.
As firefighters worked to quell the last of the hotspots, the family, including several young children, sat on the footpath, a computer among their saved possessions.
Neighbours reported seeing smoke pouring from the wooden home and ran to help. June Rameka and her family battled through the rising heat and black smoke and urged the family members still inside to get out.
Porirua senior station officer Trevor Sheehan said it seemed basic fire safety messages had been ignored.
‘‘It looks like unattended cooking may have been to blame and there were no smoke alarms,’’ he said.