BURIAL GROUND TIMELINE
The history of the burial ground in Pauatahanui:
1845: Te Rangihaeata builds a fortified pa in Pauatahanui called Matai-Taua. It was abandoned a year later.
1853: Thomas Hollis Stace buys 113 acres of land from the New Zealand Company at Pauatahanui. Early settlers plant roses in the area.
1860: First burials at Pauatahanui burial ground. Some headstones survive.
1964: Ministry of Health appoints managers of the burial ground.
1991: Project begins by group of five women to clear the overgrown burial ground and plant roses. 2004: Burial ground closed. 2007: The land is officially taken over by the Porirua City Council.
2014: The burial ground’s roses are officially recognised as ‘‘nationally significant’’ by Heritage Roses New Zealand.