Homestead’s colourful history
A century of change
Porirua is celebrating its 50th birthday, but it’s been 100 years since the Mungavin family built their homestead on their 3.5 acre farm in what is now Porirua East.
Patrick Mungavin and his wife, Mary, had five children. In 1915 they built the homestead on their land.
It extended past where the current railway station is, and contained gardens, a tennis court, an artificial lake and an orchard.
Gradually the Government slowly began acquiring the land, for the railway and then for roading and state housing.
Two of Patrick’s sons, Hec and Roy, farmed the land after their father’s death, until in 1958 they moved to the South Island.
It was then that Jim Gunn helped knock down the fences for it to become the area it is today.
In 1987 the homestead was almost demolished when more land was required for the motorway interchange, but a decision was made to move it back 38 metres and in 1989 Porirua City Council decided to restore the historic building.
Since the sale in 1958, the estate has been used by the No 41 Air Training Corps squadron, the Salvation Army and an arts and craft group.
It was for some years the Mungavin Blues restaurant and became Little India in 2012.
Now: In 2011, city councillor Wayne Poutoa called for Mungavin Homestead to be tenanted again. Little India restaurant has been there since 2012. Then: Below, Mungavin Homestead in 1918.