Vicious assault in Mungavin Ave
One of two brothers viciously assaulted in a random attack in Porirua was in an induced coma for several days.
The 47-year-old man and his brother were randomly attacked in Mungavin Ave while returning from a Christmas party about 3am on Sunday, December 6.
Both brothers were rushed to Wellington Hospital with head injuries after a member of the public called the police.
Porirua acting detective senior sergeant Peter Middlemiss said the man was placed in an induced coma, put on life support and underwent surgery to remove a clot on his brain.
He was brought out of the coma later in the week.
His 34-year-old brother was released later on the Sunday of the incident with serious bruising to his head, legs and body.
On Tuesday, December 8, night police searched the area with the help of 20 recruits from the Royal New Zealand Police College.
No arrests had been made and the investigation was continuing, Middlemiss said.
‘‘We are getting a good response from members of the public and are beginning to paint a picture of what happened,’’ he said.
It appeared the brothers were confronted by a ‘‘decent sized’’ group of people before being set upon.
CCTV footage from the Porirua train station and at the Mungavin shops was being looked at.
Pink markings left by forensic investigators showed where the brothers fell.
One outline was in the middle of the road, the other on the grassy verge.
Cafe staff from Ranui Village Coffee and Breakfast said police had been in the area several times and had asked to view their CCTV footage.
A cafe staff member said her husband had heard shouting during the early hours of the Sunday morning.
His flat is a few metres from where the brothers were attacked.
‘‘He said he heard yelling and then ‘stop hitting him or you will kill him’,’’ she said.
Porirua Eastern ward councillor Litea Ah Hoi said the incident was ‘‘sad and disappointing’’ but ‘‘out of the ordinary’’.
Police markings indicate where the attack took place in Mungavin Ave.