Emmerson House care ‘appalling’
Patricia Curd said her sister’s care at Emmerson House was ‘‘nothing short of disgraceful’’.
She was prompted to come forward after the Kapi-Mana News front page story on May 10, when Matt Gardner, a resident of Emmerson House in Ranui, spoke of his experiences at the care facility.
Curd said her sister Ann, who had a condition which left her immobile, was at Emmerson for seven years, until 2005.
‘‘I’m a nurse and some of the things happening were appalling,’’ she said. ‘‘Ann was naked in the middle of the bed once when my parents arrived.
‘‘The worst was when Ann fractured her skull in a fall. The manager told us she must have rolled out of bed but Ann can’t move. It was ridiculous. We moved her out as soon as we could.’’
Curd said she saw staff sitting down with their feet up regularly, clothing went missing, and Ann was sometimes not washed properly.
‘‘Matt Gardner was absolutely right – some of the practices were nothing short of disgraceful.
‘‘I don’t think lessons are being learnt.’’
A spokeswoman from NZCare Disability, which owns Emmerson House, reiterated that it had been working through concerns raised by Gardner, but did not want to comment further because of privacy obligations.
Other Kapi-Mana News questions, regarding any disciplinary action after Matt Gardner’s allegations, other complaints that had been laid by residents, and remedial staff training, were not answered.
Three other people have contacted Kapi-Mana News since our May 10 story, regarding their experiences at Emmerson House. None would be named. One said his son’s treatment at Emmerson was ‘‘exemplary’’.
‘‘[My son] and his neighbour in the next room were very happy and I saw nothing wrong there,’’ he said.
A staff member in 2012 and 2013 said residents were left unattended and that she found her colleagues to be neglectful.
‘‘They talked inappropriately and were lazy. It was a sad environment. I raised concerns with the manager, but they fell on deaf ears,’’ she said.
Another woman, whose daughter lived there in 2006, said staff were lax and often unpleasant, there was a lack of privacy for residents, and ‘‘the place needed a good clean’’.
Ann Curd in her bed at Emmerson House in 2005. Her sister Patricia says there is no way Ann could have fallen out of bed.