150 years of Anglican worship in Tawa
The Anglican church is celebrating 150 of worship in the Tawa area this year.
On November 27, a celebratory service was held at St Christopher’s Church, on the corner of Main Rd and Lyndhurst Rd, with Bishop Justin Duckworth giving the sermon.
It was the second event held in Tawa this year to mark the occasion.
In July there was a commemorative service and a tree planting ceremony at the site of the original St Peter’s Church in Linden, now the Tawa Cemetery on Main Rd.
The first church in Tawa was a Methodist church opened in October 1851. This was located close to the present junction of Main Rd and Tawa St, near Zip Plumbing.
In the early days of the district, Anglican services were held in parishioners’ homes.
In 1861, Edward Gibbon Wakefield donated a piece of land in Linden in trust to the Anglican Bishop of Wellington for ‘‘religious, educational, and charitable purposes’’.
Five years later, St Peter’s Church was built on the site and it opened for services in the July. In 1902 the building was moved to Porirua because of the larger population and was demolished about 1950.
After 1902, services in Tawa resumed in parishioner’s homes and from 1918 were held in the local school.
In Linden, an old scout den building was purchased in 1949 and moved in 1953 to the current St Peter’s Church site. In November 1955, the foundation stone for the new St Peter’s Church building was laid.
Establishment of St Christopher’s Church occurred in 1946, while the area was still part of the Porirua Parochial District. The parish purchased a building, which had been a mess hall at Glenside for Public Works Department workers building the Tawa Flat Deviation.
It was moved to its first Tawa home, at the corner of Lyndhurst Rd and Ngatitoa St, in July 1946 and dedicated as a church in November that year.
However, the site was not ideal and in 1955 the Anglican Church purchased two sections on the corner of Main and Lyndhurst roads, where the church stands now.
St Christopher’s Church on the move from Ngatitoa St to Lyndhurst Rd in 1955.
St Christopher’s Church in Tawa under construction in 1966.