He made the community a better place
I felt great sadness on reading of the passing of Aporo Joyce (Kapi Mana 26/7/2017).
I had the good fortune of working with Aporo over the last few years in his volunteer ‘‘career in retirement’’ helping communities to help themselves.
Aporo put a lot of time and work into re-establishing the Cannons Creek Residents Association and the subsequent development of the Cannons Creek Village Plan.
He proved a community does have the good sense and the power to make a better place. He also helped with guidance to other community groups, resulting in major improvements in the Waitangirua and Ranui villages.
He was a good man who never gave up on people, but always expected respect in both directions. Aporo deserved to have a longer retirement.
Ian Barlow [abridged] DOG FEES HURT
In regards to Daphne Tobin’s letter (July 4) wondering ‘‘how on earth can they do it for as little as that?’’, it’s because there are over 4900 registered dogs which equates to $519,400 per year.
For the owners that isn’t a massive amount to pay as she says, if you are only registering one dog to enjoy their companionship, but when you dig deep to find out what this amount actually covers, then yes, it does hurt.
After members from the Dog Lovers of Porirua Facebook page did some investigating we were told our fees basically cover the cost of dogs that are not registered. Does this seem fair?
The Porirua City Council does not provide any public dog parks; the one at Ngati Toa Domain is privately owned.
We have facilities for mountainbikers, skate parks, proposed splash pad etc that not every ratepayer will use so when will we start catering for our furry friends?
Natalie McCarthy [abridged] THE COUNCIL RESPONDS:
Your letter writer suggests that dog registration fees go towards the cost of controlling unregistered dogs.
In fact, 70 per cent of the dogs our animal control team pick up are registered and the majority of complaints about nuisance dogs we attend are for registered dogs. Registration fees cover 70 per cent of our dog control service while rates cover the remaining 30 per cent – so costs are borne by the whole community.
While we don’t have a fenced dog exercise area in Porirua, we are asking our community if we need one and who should pay.
The review of our Dog Control Policy and Dog Control Bylaw runs until 14 July.
Manager Environmental Standards Jim Sutton [abridged] MAKING ENDS MEET
With all the talk about what a great budget we have received, I am appalled to hear pensioners are still getting the short end of the stick.
Does the Government not realise there are still those who do not turn on their heaters?
These are the people who have worked all their life under the misguided belief the Government will reward their diligence by looking after them in old age.
Yes, we all know now when it is too late that we should have planned better for our twilight years. There are many factors to be considered when pointing the finger at those who haven’t put away a little bit for a rainy day.
Some of us were on basic incomes that covered the bare necessities and maybe the odd extras while bringing up our families and others just had a change in circumstances.
Wasn’t the Government supposed to look after us in our old age?
There are people dying through lack of food, heating, medical care and the basic standard of living most of us are taking for granted.
While the Government pat themselves on the back, others are in despair worrying about what else they can cut back on.
Please tell us how they are supposed to make ends meet when others keep moving the ends.
D Carmicheal [abridged] WRITE TO US
Do you feel strongly about an issue in your community or have something to say about our city? Contact us at email@example.com or via Neighbourly. Please include your full name, address and contact number. Letters are published at the editor’s discretion and may be abridged.
A letter writer wants councilprovided facilities for dogs.