Family pet dies of suspected poisoning
Aotea residents in Porirua are concerned a poisoning could be what killed Louie the cat.
Louie’s owner, 23-year-old Kelsey Seed, said the two-year-old tabby came in for dinner at 5pm on February 27 but two hours later returned ‘‘with blood pouring from his nose’’.
By 8.30pm he was at an afterhours vet and by 10pm the cat was gone.
‘‘As soon as I heard the news my knees buckled,’’ Seed said.
‘‘The worst pain I’ve ever felt shot through me and I realised that the only thing I’ve had to help me through everything over the last two years was gone.
‘‘Mum and dad rushed me to the vet’s to say goodbye but it was too late. He had passed in the vet’s arms before we arrived.
‘‘One very long and final cuddle and my baby was gone.’’
The vet told the family that the level of poison in Louie’s body was more than double the amount that would have been found if he had accidentally consumed it.
‘‘It won’t normally affect a cat if they eat something already poisoned apparently, and it’s very uncommon for cats to eat that much unless it’s hidden in cat food as the pellets don’t taste amazing to them.’’
‘‘I do think people in our community need to keep an eye out.
‘‘I personally think that it’s on purpose because of the levels of poison found in Louie.’’
Dr Peter Whiley from Rappaw Veterinary Care Paremata said the main clinical signs seen for rat poisoning in particular would be signs of haemorrhage including bruising of skin eyes or ears, pale gums and weakness.
‘‘There can be bleeding gums, nose bleeds from both sides, blood in the urine or faeces , there can also be difficulty breathing if there is a haemorrhage in the lungs.’’
He had also checked with the vets at their Tawa clinic, and neither had seen a spate of potentially poisoned cats. ‘‘However, animals could have died and been buried, say, and we would not necessarily know about these ones.’’
A Porirua City Council spokeswoman said the council had not had any complaints about cats being poisoned, and it had not put out any bait. ‘‘We checked with the Greater Wellington Regional Council who only use toxin in a pellet form, which is cereal-based, that is not attractive to cats,’’ she said.
‘‘At all their operational sites the pellets are placed within bait stations, so it’s most unlikely for a cat to have been poisoned by that.’’
The level of poison in Louie’s body was more than double the amount that would have been found if the cat had accidentally consumed it.