House roof catches fire
An elderly Kapiti man was taken to hospital after a blaze - suspected to be linked to his fireplace - ignited and spread through the roof of his home.
Fire, police and ambulance emergency services were called on Monday to the house in Rimu Rd, Paraparaumu.
Neighbour Paul Devany said he heard something happening about 9:15am.
‘‘I heard some noise, and it was the fire brigade rolling the hose down the driveway. I came out and all I could see was smoke. The house was enveloped in smoke.’’
He said he thought the chimney caught fire, then something in the roof.
By 10am there were five fire trucks on Rimu Rd dealing with the blaze. An ambulance arrived at the scene a few minutes later.
Paraparaumu Fire Station officer Steve Hudson said fire fighters arrived to find the fire well ablaze - spreading through the roof and into the porch area of the property.
Hudson said he was unsure of the fire’s exact cause, but it could have been fireplace-related, starting on the outside of the house and spreading into the roofing.
There was extensive damage in the roof, and smoke damage in the interior, he said.
An elderly male, the only person home at the time, was taken to Wellington Hospital for treatment for smoke inhalation, Hudson said.